Week Nine: Friday
Thoughts on who the stars of the weekend will be.
Game of the Week- Georgia vs. Florida in Jacksonville- If you love defense, then this is your game. The two teams will both struggle on offense and both will make plays with their defense. This is another battle between top SEC defenses, and no one should be surprised if it winds up 6-3 like last week's Tennessee-Alabama game. Georgia is looking to clinch the SEC East with a win, while the Gators will get back into the SEC East race if they can muster a win. Georgia is looking to stay alive in the national championship race, while the Gators are looking to earn back a measure of respect.
Upset Special- Michigan at Northwestern- The Wolverines are favored on the road against the team that may be playing the best football in the Big Ten right now. Chad Henne and the Michigan offense can put up a ton of points, however, Brett Basanez and Tyrell Sutton are both ready to roll. The Wildcats offense is superior to Michigan's. However, Michigan has the better defense. This could be the best game of the weekend as both teams could be able to score forty in this one. This should be a very high scoring, entertaining affair.
Team of the Week- Texas Longhorns- Oklahoma State still carries some name value, however that is about all that they carry at this point. The Cowboys are downright bad right now. The Longhorns are playing to prove that they deserve the number one ranking in the BCS. The Cowboys would love to end their national championship dreams, but after anticipating a landmine game for a month now, I'm finally convinced that this Texas team isn't going to fall into a landmine...yet.
Players of the Week-
1) Vince Young, Texas- The Oklahoma State defense has been anything but tough so far this year. The Longhorns quarterback ought to put up huge numbers on the Cowboy.
2) Matt Leinart, USC- Washington State's defense is pretty lousy. While the Cougars have a shot to outscore the Trojans, Leinart should be lighting up the Cougars defense all day long.
3) Paul Pinegar, Fresno State- The Bulldogs trip to Hawaii should be a tough one. However, scoring points should not be a problem. Pinegar should put up absolutely fabulous numbers on the islands againat Hawaii.
4) Reggie Bush, USC- Bush ought to spend the part of the day where Leinart isn't lighting up the Washington State defense doing it himself. He ought to explode for huge yards in all facets of the game.
5) Brodie Croyle, Alabama- If Croyle is playing enough of the game against Utah State, he ought to put up good numbers. The offense will be much better than they have been in recent weeks.
A quick preview of tonight's games.
Colorado State at New Mexico (8:00 ESPN2)- Justin Holland is a great quarterback for the Rams, while DonTrell Moore is a great running back for the Lobos. Colorado State still controls their Mountain West fate with only one conference loss and TCU still to come. They need to win this game to keep that.
THURSDAY IN REVIEW
A very quick recap of Thursday night's games.
Virginia Tech 30, Boston College 10- The Hokies dominated the game in all facets but the scoreboard until the closing minutes, when a late interception returned for a touchdown finally put the game out of reach. The Hokies dominated all the statistical categories. If Virginia Tech keeps on winning like that down the stretch, they may just deserve to jump into number two, even without a loss from Texas or USC.