Week Eleven: Friday
Thoughts on who the stars of the weekend will be.
Game of the Week- LSU at Alabama- It is hard to deny how big this game is. The winner will be in the drivers seat of the SEC West race and ranked in the Top Five. The loser will fall down the bowl pecking order. These are two very good teams. They both play very good defense. LSU has more offensive firepower, but the LSU secondary is a question mark. However, without Tyrone Prothro to toss the ball to, Brodie Croyle and the Tide offense has struggled. This ought to be a spectacular game. If you love defensive slugfests, watch this game.
Upset Special-Florida State at Clemson- The Bowden Bowl may have lost some of its luster in recent years, but this game smells like a potential upset. Clemson has played better at home this year, taking Miami to triple overtime. Florida State has nothing to play for. They have already locked up the ACC Atlantic Division title, and last week's loss to North Carolina State eliminated them from the national championship race and probably from getting an at-large bid to a BCS bowl game. Clemson is still trying to get bowl eligible. So, Florida State has nothing to play for. Clemson has a lot to play for. Clemson is a pretty good team that hasn't played up to their level at all times this year. Florida State is too. This game may not end in a Clemson win, but there are certainly reasons to believe it might.
Team of the Week-UCLA Bruins- You want to see a team awakened from their slumber? Watch the Bruins this weekend. They should come out and play their most complete game since beating Oklahoma in September this weekend. The Bruins loss last week against Arizona did not eliminate them from the national title picture. If they can beat USC on December 3, they would shoot up the rankings. They will win the Pac Ten with a win that day, as long as they win this one. I expect to see a fired up Maurice Drew and a fired up UCLA team beat Arizona State this weekend. Of course, I wouldn't be completely shocked to see UCLA lay an egg and get killed by the Sun Devils, but either way, I expect this game to end in a blowout.
Players of the Week-
1) Reggie Bush, USC- Maurice Drew exploded against California. Does anyone else think that does not bode well for the Bears as they try to slow down Bush?
2) DeMeco Ryans, Alabama- The Tide linebacker should have a huge game against LSU. The Alabama defense is very strong, and he is the leader of it. He ought to help slow down the LSU offense.
3) D.J. Shockley, Georgia- Does anyone know how important Shockley is to the Dawgs? We'll all know more after this weekend in his first game back from an injury.
4) Maurice Drew, UCLA- Reggie Bush had a big game against the Sun Devils. Drew has got an opportunity to get right back into the Heisman Trophy race with a big game in this one.
5) Cody Hodges, Texas Tech- Oklahoma State's defense hasn't proven to be a match for many teams this season. Hodges ought to put up huge numbers against the Cowboys.
Quick preview of tonight's game.
Rutgers at Louisville (8:00 ESPN2)- Louisville's offense always seems to roll at home. For Rutgers, they are already bowl eligible, but they would love to pull off an upset to send themselves flying up the bowl pecking order. They are a quality team, but they will need to do a lot to control Brian Brohm and the Cardinals offense.
Thursday in Review
Very quick recap of last night's game.
Fresno State 27, Boise State 7- The game was not as close as the score indicated. When Boise scored on their second play from scrimmage, every Fresno fan had to be holding their breath and trying not to think, "Here we go again." Fresno responded with a vengeance. They played a very good game, and proved that they may just be the most underrated team in the country.