Week Ten: Friday
Thoughts on who the stars of the weekend will be.
Game of the Week- Miami at Virginia Tech- This is a match-up of two Top Five teams. The former Big East rivals now meet with the ACC Championship on the line. The winner becomes the favorite to win the ACC Coastal Division, while the loser will either be out (Miami) or need some help (Virginia Tech) to win the division. Marcus Vick is as exciting of a quarterback as they come. Kyle Wright hasn't done a lot so far this year. Both defenses are great. This should be a low scoring slugfest.
Upset Special- UCLA at Arizona- South Carolina is more than a field goal underdog at Arkansas in the most bizarre line of the week in my mind. Onto this game, Arizona found a starting quarterback in Willie Tuitama last week in their win over Oregon State. He looked very good, and now playing at home against a Top Five team, he really has a chance to shine. Last year, Arizona pulled off an upset over a nationally ranked Arizona State team late in the season at home. With how UCLA always seems to struggle for three quarters, there has to be a week when that will catch up to them. It may not be until the USC game. Or it may be against Arizona State. Or it may be this week.
Team of the Week-Colorado Buffaloes- The Buffaloes will have the Big Twelve North all but locked up with a win over Missouri this weekend. If they win this weekend and then win against either Nebraska or Iowa State, they will be back in the Big Twelve Championship Game. This team will come out fired up. It ought to be a great game, but with the Buffaloes at home, they find a way to win.
Players of the Week-
1) Cody Hodges, Texas Tech- The Texas A&M defense has been very movable this weekend, and Hodges puts up great numbers against bad defenses. Hodges ought to put up big numbers.
2) Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M- The Texas Tech defense isn't exactly a rock, though they did shut out Baylor last week. McNeal ought to put up huge numbers agains this defense. Does anyone else think this game will be a lot of fun?
3) Maurice Drew, UCLA- It's always exciting to watch Drew play. He is slowly gaining momentum in a push for the Heisman Trophy. Arizona's defense is OK, but Drew ought to put up some nice numbers.
4) LenDale White, USC- OK. It's White's turn now. Stanford might be able to contain Bush, and Leinart may not have a great game. Look at what the Cardinal did to Drew and Olson from UCLA last weekend for three quarters. However, White is the type of pounding back that Stanford will have a tough time defending.
5) Marcus Vick, Virginia Tech- The last two weeks have been great weeks for Vick. This Saturday, he will be playing the best defense he has faced all year in Miami. The home crowd will be frenzied. He is defnitely the player to watch this weekend. If he has a good game, the Hokies win. If he doesn't, the Hokies don't.
Thursday in Review
Quick recap of last night's game.
Louisville 42, Pittsburgh 20- The Cardinals and Panthers were tied at seven thirty five seconds into the game without an offensive snap being made. Amazing. The Cardinals offense was sharp until the red zone, and Pitt couldn't muster much in the second half on offense. This win makes it really a two team race for the Big East title between West Virginia and South Florida.
Very fast preview of tonight's game.
Toledo at Ohio (8:00 ESPN2)- Toledo needs some help to win the MAC after last week's stunning loss to Central Michigan. Ohio is hoping for a winning season under Frank Solich. The Rockets would love to win out and put some pressure on CMU to win out and win the MAC.