Week Thirteen: Friday
Thoughts on who the stars of the weekend will be.
Game of the Week- Georgia at Georgia Tech- In a weekend where there are few games that really impact the national title race and therefore are more important, this game looks to be the best of the bunch. While it will have no effect on the national title race, except if LSU gets into the picture they will want to face a higher ranked Georgia team in the SEC Championship Game, this game ought to be the most entertaining of the weekend. Both teams have very good defenses. Both teams have athletic quarterbacks, even though D.J. Shockley has outplayed Reggie Ball by a lot. The problem is Georgia Tech tends to play either very up or very down. If they are up for this game, which they should be since this is a rivalry game, the Yellow Jackets have a very real shot to take down the Dawgs. If they are down, the Dawgs should win in a romp. This ought to be as entertaining of a game as there is this weekend.
Upset Special- Notre Dame at Stanford- It is very true that the Irish should come in focused and should play very hard. Still, there is something about this game that makes me take pause. Maybe it is the fact that Stanford (before last weekend's beating at the hands of Cal) had looked very good against any team not named USC in the Pac Ten. Maybe it is that the Irish are going on the road. Maybe it is the fact that the Irish have looked somewhat flat in their last few games and that usually catches up with a team. Remember, just because it is here does not mean that I am picking an upset, but rather telling everyone to watch out for an upset in this game.
Team of the Week- Virginia Tech Hokies. The Hokies should come out fired up at home with the ACC Coastal Division on the line. Given new life with Georgia Tech's upset of Miami last weekend, the Hokies are ready to lay it to a team, much like they did to Virginia last week. The unfortunate team standing in their way is North Carolina. The Tar Heels will play very hard and will try to hang in there, but at some point, the roof is going to cave in on them and the Hokies should win in a rout.
Players of the Week-
1) Vince Young, Texas- Going against Texas A&M's porous defense should mean that Young will have a huge day. He's got no reason not to be focused and prepared to play very well against the Aggies.
2) Darius Walker, Notre Dame- Stanford's run defense has not been good. Walker has been good. Most weeks, the Irish rely on Brady Quinn and a balanced offense. This week, Walker will steal the show.
3) Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma- Oklahoma State hasn't exactly been playing tough defense this year for the most part. Peterson should explode for a huge day on the ground against the Cowboys.
4) Brian Brohm, Louisville- The Cardinals quarterback has huge games at home, and this week he is going against Syracuse. Ummm...yeah. This should be a gigantic game.
5) Marcus Vick, Virginia Tech- He has played well in every game except the Miami game. North Carolina could slow him down this weekend, but Vick is playing right now to prove all the doubters wrong.