Week Twelve: Friday
Thoughts on who the stars of the weekend will be.
Game of the Week- Fresno State at USC- While the game may or may not live up to the expectations, it is clearly the most intriguing game of the weekend. While Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State, and even Penn State-Michigan State carries more national interest, few games are more intriguing than this one. Can the traditional "giant killers" (Fresno State) beat another giant (USC)? Surely a WAC team isn't going to be the one to end USC's 32 game winning streak, right? This is the about as good as it gets in the world of David vs. Goliath, because David is capable of beating Goliath. This is not San Jose State against USC. Fresno State is good enough to keep it close. It is worth watching the late game. Yes, USC might win by six touchdowns. But if they did, they would deserve a lot of credit, because this Fresno State team is good.
Upset Special- Oklahoma at Texas Tech- The Red Raiders are favored in this game. The winner really helps themselves in the bowl pecking order coming out of the Big Twelve. Oklahoma (while not playing brilliantly) has played better lately, and Texas Tech has not beaten a really good team all year. Not that the Sooners have either. The fact that the Red Raiders have struggled so much against the Sooners in recent years only makes it seem more likely that the Oklahoma can pull off the upset. Yes, Oklahoma isn't as good as in recent years, but Texas Tech just lost to Oklahoma State. Can they possibly be ready to take on Oklahoma?
Team of the Week-Miami Hurricanes- Maybe Georgia Tech can focus after they got handed probation yesterday. Maybe the Yellow Jackets will be able to rally in Miami. Maybe Kyle Wright won't stay one of the hottest quarterbacks in the country. But it seems far more likely that the Hurricanes win rather easily against a pretty good Yellow Jackets team. The 'Canes are ready to take on the Yellow Jackets and should find their way to a win on their way towards the ACC Coastal title.
Players of the Week-
1) D.J. Shockley, Georgia- Shockley is going up against a Kentucky defense that has averaged giving up 46 points the last two weeks. Of course, they are 1-1 in those games. Still Shockley should have a big game as the Dawgs try to clinch the SEC East.
2) Kyle Wright, Miami- Wright has been playing better and better. The Yellow Jackets have a great defense, but they still could struggle to slow down the Wright train.
3) Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma- Peterson has been playing better and better as he has gotten healthier and healthier. Time for him to lick his chops as he goes up against the Texas Tech defense.
4) Michael Robinson, Penn State- Michigan State's defense has struggled all year long, and Robinson has been exposing struggling defenses all season. Robinson should explode, although this is the Penn State-Michigan State game, so anything could happen.
5) LenDale White, USC- Fresno State may be able to contend with Bush and his speed and playmaking. They may be able to slow down Leinart and his passing game. But they will have a hard time slowing down a bruising back like White. White has the capability to put up big numbers on Fresno, while Bush and Leinart do too. However, if I had to pick one, then I would pick White.