Week Fourteen: Thursday
Thoughts on who the stars of the weekend will be.
Game of the Week- Georgia vs. LSU- A lot of weeks, I pick the biggest game for this slot. This week, I picked the game that should be the most entertaining. This game features two of the better offenses in the SEC along with the always tough SEC defenses. This game could sneak LSU into the Rose Bowl if Texas or USC loses, but the Tigers would need a very impressive win over the Bulldogs and some help from the computers and pollsters. D.J. Shockley is one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC and JaMarcus Russell is not too far behind. This should be an extremely entertaining game. If USC-UCLA is close, be sure to watch it, but keep an eye on this one. When the USC-UCLA game ends, if both USC and Texas have won, don't worry too much about the ACC Championship Game. Focus on this one until it is over. If USC or Texas have lost, get two TV's set up so you can watch both LSU and Virginia Tech and decide for yourself if one of them belongs in the Rose Bowl instead of Penn State, USC, or Texas.
Upset Special- Louisville at Connecticut- Call me crazy, but the Cardinals are without Brian Brohm, they are going on the road, they have already accepted a bowl bid, and Connecticut is dying to prove on national television that they deserve a bowl game. Yet the line is 15.5 in favor of Louisville. The Cardinals have not played well on the road all season, and Brohm's injury is thrusting Hunter Cantwell in as the starting quarterback. Connecticut plays pretty well at home and is playing for a bowl bid. While Louisville might come up with the win, it seems to be a safe bet to at least pick UConn to cover the spread.
Team of the Week- Central Florida Golden Knights- They might be the Team of the Week even if they lose. They were 0-11 last year, and now they sit one win away from the Conference USA title. Their tilt with Tulsa is huge, as neither team was expected to be here. Still, a UCF win would put George O'Leary's name back into the pot for every major college coaching job. Steven Moffett deserves a ton of credit for playing so well at the quarterback spot for the Knights this year. They should be watched very closely this Saturday.
Players of the Week-
1) Reggie Bush, USC- Could he have another 500 total yards against another lousy defense? He might just do it.
2) Vince Young, Texas- Two bad weeks in a row? Doubtful. The Colorado defense is OK, but they couldn't slow him down the first time they met.
3) D.J. Shockley, Georgia- Shockley could put up the best numbers that anyone has yet this year on the LSU defense. Don't be surprised to see that happen.
4) Steve Slaton, West Virginia- USF is a good team and might be able to come up with the win, but Slaton is tossing his name into next year's Heisman hat.
5) Maurice Drew, UCLA- The Trojans struggle on special teams coverage. Drew can return kicks with the best of them. USC was gashed up the middle by Fresno during certain points of the game. Drew can do that too. Drew and Bush BOTH might have 400 total yards during this game. Now wouldn't that be something else?